A Dog Owners Public Service Announcement

"The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center cautions animal owners that xylitol, a sweetener found in certain sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and other products can potentially cause serious and even life-threatening problems for pets.

“Last year, we managed more than 170 cases involving xylitol-containing products,” says Dana Farbman, CVT and spokesperson for the Center. “This is a significant increase from 2004, when we managed about 70.” Barely halfway into 2006, the Center has already managed about 114 cases. Why the increase? “It’s difficult to say,” Farbman states. “Xylitol products are relatively new to the United States marketplace, so one possibility may be an increase in availability.”

According to Dr. Eric Dunayer, veterinarian and toxicologist for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, dogs ingesting significant amounts of items sweetened with xylitol could develop a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. “These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately.” Dr. Dunayer also stated that there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs.

While it was previously thought that only large concentrations of xylitol could result in problems, this appears to no longer be the case. “We seem to be learning new information with each subsequent case we manage,” says Dr. Dunayer. “Our concern used to be mainly with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients. However, we have begun to see problems developing from ingestions of products with lesser amounts of this sweetener.” He also says that with smaller concentrations of xylitol, the onset of clinical signs could be delayed as much as 12 hours after ingestion. “Therefore, it is important to keep in mind that even if your pet does not develop signs right away, it does not mean that problems won’t develop later on.”

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center strongly urges pet owners to be especially diligent in keeping candy, gum or other foods containing xylitol out of the reach of pets. As with any potentially toxic substance, should accidental exposures occur, it is important to contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for immediate assistance. "

Direct quote from the ASPCA
Watch those food hounds!


Smoky Mountain Pet Fair


Sunday September 21st
Pearson Springs Park
Maryville, TN

11:am - 5:pm

Promoting Animal Rescue, Adoption, Spay & Neuter

Fun competitions, prizes, medals
Frisbee toss, hurdles, high jump and a whole lot more:

Rescue groups, face painting, micro-chipping, K9 police dogs, adoptable pets, wildlife rehab, pet therapy, great food, ferrets, vendors, live music, exotic birds, pet photography, rabbits, products & services........ AND "Sparky" the fire dog (with the fire engine!).

Come on out for the fun and meet Jazz and her humans at the HABIT exhibit. Nestle may be there too....but only for the socialization (he's not a HABIT dog....yet). It'll be a howling good time!


Jazz's 5 Minutes of Fame

Jazz was the perfect therapy dog at the HABIT informational meeting. She politely greeted all the folks who approached her and was her usual "lady like" self. Then came her moment to be with me before the entire audience as I shared what the "Ruff Reader" program is all about (reading program in the public schools).

We walked out confidently and with a spring in our step after being introduced. Jazz was especially bouncy. At least she wasn't shy! As I addressed the audience and began to speak, I felt Jazz jump up on my legs and I could tell she wanted to play (!!!!!). I calmed her, and I could feel a blush of embarrassment coming on. I continued speaking to the audience and a giggles began to erupt from the audience. I looked down and there was Jazz, rolling around on the floor, kicking her legs up in the air, playing with her lead and having the best time! Now I was embarrassed! But Jazz was certainly entertaining the crowd and lightening the mood! Her antics continued throughout my talk as I tried to calm her....... I cut my talk short to make an escape and relieve Jazz of what is obviously "her" way of dealing with stress.

She was a hit with the prospective volunteers! I wasn't mortified....but I was quite surprised, only mildly amused and a bit embarrassed by my "wild" therapy dog.